REGATEC – 5th International Conference on Renewable Energy Gas Technology
The 5th International Conference on Renewable Energy Gas Technology, REGATEC 2018, took place 3-4 May 2018 at in Toulouse, FRANCE.
155 participants from 20 countries, 60 oral and visual presentation together with the exhibition and the Network Plus made REGATEC 2018 a vibrant hotspot for the renewable methane community.
REGATEC has a technical and industrial focus and is directed towards bio-, electro-, and thermochemical conversion of biomass/waste to biomethane, biomass gasification for CHP production and industrial use as well as cryogenic upgrading/liquefaction. There are several synergies between anaerobic digestion, Power-to-gas and biomass gasification that are waiting to be exploited. The main aims of the conference are to provide a platform for these three sectors, highlight the latest advances, promote networking and collaboration as well as spark new ideas and insights.
TAKE AWAYS of the REGATEC conference:
- Biomethane (both compressed and liquefied) as transport fuel is attracting more and more attention
- Power-to-gas (electricity to methane) is moving forward rapidly with extensive R&D and pilot and demo testing
- Biological methanation of syngas has the potential to combine advantages of both the anaerobic digestion and the thermochemical (gasification) sector
- The commercialisation of new technology continues, examples presented at the conference include cryogenic upgrading and liquefaction, and syngas for industrial purposes (replacement of natural gas)
- New technologies that may represent a technological breakthrough include biogas upgrading with polymer resins, plasma gasification of waste for bioSNG production and CO2 capture from the air for biofuel production
The above represents only a fraction of the interesting R&D presented at REGTATEC 2018. The perhaps most interesting is the change of mindset of the natural gas industry and major gas distributors. They envision a 100% decarbonised future gas system and here renewable methane (biomethane, bioSNG and electro-methane) will play a central role.
The next edition of the conference, REGATEC 2019, will take place 20-21 May 2019 at Scandic Triangeln, Malmö, SWEDEN.