Green Gas Grids project: Proposal for a European Biomethane Roadmap
The Green Gas Grids Project under the leadership of EBA Board Member Attila Kovacs prepared a roadmap to draw attention to the unique possibilities offered by upgrading biogas to biomethane.
In this sense, key conditions for a dynamic growth of this industry were elaborated with the vision to reach 18-20 billion m3 of biomethane production by 2030.
This figure, which is estimated to represent about 3% of the European natural gas consumption and a minimum of 10% of the total gaseous vehicle fuel consumption by 2030, depends, however, on key actions that condition the realisation of the full biomethane potential. These key pre-conditions are as follows:
- the national renewable energy support/incentive schemes should treat the “green gas” (biomethane) equally with “green electricity”;
- the National Renewable Action Plans should be extended with a specific biomethane section to quantify the targets and determine the needed measures for achieving them;
- imported biomethane (if properly certified) should receive equal treatment (same support/incentives) with domestic production;
- national/domestic biomethane registries should be established in every biomethane producing country;
- the national/domestic biomethane registries should develop a Europe-wide cooperation aimed at coordination and harmonisation of their activities;
- the European natural gas network should be declared as a single, closed mass-balance unit.
The Roadmap addresses all the above issues along with other questions relevant to the development of the European biomethane sector and is available for download here.