Looking to work on innovative technologies in the field of biomethane?
The European Biogas Association (EBA) is looking for a Technical and Project officer with 2–5-year experience in the technical field to join our team on a full-time basis as of September 2022.
The REPowerEU communication of the European Commission has put forward a set of tools to boost energy independency across Europe while pushing for climate targets. These measures include the deployment of renewable gases, such as biomethane. The candidate will actively contribute to this objective, supporting the expansion of the biomethane sector in the coming years.
Tasks & Responsibilities
The candidate will be part of EBA’s Technical and Project Department (3 people + candidate) and will have an involvement in the EU funded project BIOMETHAVERSE under the Horizon Europe program. Under supervision of the Technical Manager, he/she will bring fresh ideas to the table for the successful execution of EBA tasks and responsibilities.
His/her main responsibilities will be:
- Execution of the EBA’s technical tasks in the BIOMETHANVERSE project, including:
· Technical coordination of the project.
· Coordination of the demonstration activities in collaboration with the demonstration leaders.
· Assisting future planning decisions by the development of a Biomethane Decision Guide.
· Development of Scenarios and Vision for Market Penetration including investigating the synergies between biomethane and hydrogen in the future energy mix.
- Ensure results and lessons learned during the BIOMETHAVERSE project are embedded in the work of EBA’s technical and advocacy work.
- Coordination of tasks related to policy and communication of the project, in cooperation with an appointed policy and communication officer of EBA, respectively.
- Close interaction and collaboration with project partners.
- Representation of the EBA and the BIOMETHAVERSE project at scientific conferences, international workshops, and exhibitions.
- Provide support to investors and project developers using results of the BIOMETHAVERSE project.
- The candidate will also get involved in other EBA technical tasks compatible with his/her professional background and skills, such as contribution to the EBA technical publications, drafting statistic market analyses, development of new Horizon Europe proposals and support to EBA’s policy and communication activities.
Essential Skills & Qualities
- University graduate in a related field of environmental engineering, environmental sciences, agriculture, natural sciences, engineering.
- Knowledge of renewable energies and particularly renewable gases and anaerobic digestion.
- Excellent command of English. Any other language is a definite plus.
- Analytical skills, numerical reasoning, logical thinking, eye for detail.
- Multitasker, quick-learner and ready to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Team player, proactive, self-starter.
- Willingness to travel within Europe.
- The candidate will have to demonstrate that he/she has the right to live and work in Belgium.
What would we consider a plus?
- Experience in the Horizon 2020 and/or Horizon Europe program.
- Basic knowledge on EU legislation on renewable energies.
- A stimulating and dynamic international environment in a fast-growing team.
- Access to EBA’s network of EU stakeholders and members.
- Expertise in the circular economy and the energy transition.
- A position within the renewable energy sector to impact the shift towards a cleaner world and higher EU energy independence.
- A platform for pushing for positive socio-economic and environmental change.
- A remuneration package suited to your experience.
- Initial 6-month contract with possibility for a long-term extension.
- The position is based in the Renewable Energy House in Brussels.
How to apply?
Please send your CV (no Europass format) and cover letter (max. 2 pages) to Vinciane Perot (email@example.com) and Mieke Decorte (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject ‘YOUR NAME – EBA Technical and Project Officer’.
Interviews will take place remotely on a rolling basis. Please consider that only the selected CVs will be notified for further process and interview.
About BIOMETHAVERSE project
The BIOMETHAVERSE project is looking at diversifying the technological basis for biomethane production in Europe, increasing cost-effectiveness and contributing to the uptake of biomethane technologies.
To this aim, five innovative biomethane production pathways will be demonstrated in five different European countries: France, Greece, Italy, Sweden and Ukraine. In the BIOMETHAVERSE demonstrators, CO2 effluents from AD or gasification and other intermediate products will be combined with renewable hydrogen or renewable electricity to increase the overall biomethane yield. All demonstrated production routes go beyond conventional technologies with a circular approach for the use of energy and materials.
The BIOMETAHVERSE project has the potential to increase the biomethane production in Europe by 60% within the 2030 and 2050 timeframes, enabling 287 Mt CO2eq of additional GHG savings, creating > 800,000 jobs and reducing biomethane production costs by 13 – 44%.